cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Caramelised Onion Houmous
- 1 can chickpeas (drained weight 260g)
- 60 ml oil
- 100 g onion chopped very finely
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- dessertspoon vinegar
- 10 g sugar
- 16 slices homemade bread
- Place onion on baking sheet.
- Mix vinegar and sugar together and drizzle over the onions.
- Turn onion over with hands until covered.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven (underneath something else you are cooking) until softened and browned turning over occasionally (at 200C this takes about 30 minutes)
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- Place the chick peas, garlic, and seasonings in a food processor, then gradually add the oil whilst pulsing the food processor until you have achieved a loose runny consistency a bit like natural yoghurt or double cream. Stir the roasted onions and their juices through your finished houmous.
- Make once for Christmas week. Half the batch is used to make Tomato Houmous. If you're following the Celebration Week planner, I've added 16 slices of bread for 8 portions so the nutrition comes out correctly, but you would use 8 slices for this, and 8 slices and half the batch of Caramelised Onion Hummus for the tomato version
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.