cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Caramelised Onion Houmous
- 1 can chickpeas (drained weight 260g)
- 60 ml oil
- 100 g onion chopped very finely
- 1 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- dessertspoon vinegar
- 10 g sugar
- 16 slices homemade bread
- Place onion on baking sheet.
- Mix vinegar and sugar together and drizzle over the onions.
- Turn onion over with hands until covered.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven (underneath something else you are cooking) until softened and browned turning over occasionally (at 200C this takes about 30 minutes)
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- Place the chick peas, garlic, and seasonings in a food processor, then gradually add the oil whilst pulsing the food processor until you have achieved a loose runny consistency a bit like natural yoghurt or double cream. Stir the roasted onions and their juices through your finished houmous.
- Make once for Christmas week. Half the batch is used to make Tomato Houmous. If you're following the Celebration Week planner, I've added 16 slices of bread for 8 portions so the nutrition comes out correctly, but you would use 8 slices for this, and 8 slices and half the batch of Caramelised Onion Hummus for the tomato version
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.