cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Rich and fudgy Truffles
Sticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles – who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy a large roll of cellophane which lasts for ages. And a very long reel of ribbon can be had for not much
You can add fine chopped nuts to your truffles, fine chopped raisins or dates, or some crushed biscuit. Add a little alcohol, just a tablespoon to start, and taste, or try lemon / orange / lime zest.
Roll them in cocoa, dessicated coconut or very finely chopped nuts for a different finish
Although truffles are usually made from dark chocolate, you could make some with whatever chocolate you like, milk or white. Or you could even marble them with a mixture of different chocolates
- 300 g dark chocolate 3 bars value chocolate, 90p
- 250 ml double cream own brand, 90p
- 50 g butter Buttery spread, 7p
- 50 g cocoa powder 24p
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, bring the cream to the boil and then pour it over the chocolate.
- Stir gently until all the chocolate has melted but try not to create bubbles in the mixture.
- Leave this to cool for 2 minutes and then add the butter in two stages. Once the butter has melted the ganache should be smooth and glossy with no oil slicks.
- Set the mixture in the fridge for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight.
- Remove the mixture from the fridge and leave for approximately 15 minutes to come to room temperature.
- The truffles can be stored for approximately two days.
- You can try wrapping them individually in squares of cheap tin foil and then popping them into small kilner jars, gift bags or inexpensive home made boxes. You can find out how to make impressive gift boxes at http://rubberstamping.about.com/od/techniquesandtutorials/ss/Box.htm
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.