cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 5 g mustard
- 325 ml vegetable oil
- 150 ml milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- Put the milk and the vinegar into a bowl, add the spices and the salt into it and mix well, using an electric whisk on a slow setting.
- Continue mixing and start adding the oil, you need to add the oil slowly mixing constantly, pouring the oil in a steady very thin stream.
- Continue adding the oil until the mayonnaise is thick enough and then continue mixing for a little while, one minute is enough.
- It should now have the consistency of thick cream, it will however thicken up in a while, ideally overnight.
- Make 2 batches in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.