cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Cranberry and Cashew Nut Roast
This delicious alternative to a Christmas turkey, can be enjoyed all year round.
You might not be able to get dried cranberries outside of the festive period. So, to keep that sweet sour pop, try replacing the cranberries with dried apricots
Swap the nuts for salted peanuts, walnuts, almonds, or any other nuts you fancy
- 2 tbsps oil for frying,
- 320 g onions chopped
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 100 g oats
- 85 g dried cranberries soaked in 60 ml hot water in a mug
- 280 ml stock made with a chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 180 g cashew nuts chopped
- splash wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the cashew pieces lightly in a frying pan without any oil, for 1-2 minutes until the nuts begin to brown gently. Tip them out and put to one side.
- Fry the onion in the oil for about five minutes or until soft. Add the garlic. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Simmer slowly for two or three minutes.
- Stir in the nuts, cranberries, vinegar and seasoning.
- Sprinkle the oats on top. Stir well.
- Add the stock and cranberry water, stirring all the time.
- Spoon the mix into a greased or lined 2lb loaf tin. Bake for 25 mins at Gas Mark 5.
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.