cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Cranberry and Cashew Nut Roast
This delicious alternative to a Christmas turkey, can be enjoyed all year round.
You might not be able to get dried cranberries outside of the festive period. So, to keep that sweet sour pop, try replacing the cranberries with dried apricots
Swap the nuts for salted peanuts, walnuts, almonds, or any other nuts you fancy
- 2 tbsps oil for frying,
- 320 g onions chopped
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 100 g oats
- 85 g dried cranberries soaked in 60 ml hot water in a mug
- 280 ml stock made with a chicken or vegetable stock cube
- 180 g cashew nuts chopped
- splash wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the cashew pieces lightly in a frying pan without any oil, for 1-2 minutes until the nuts begin to brown gently. Tip them out and put to one side.
- Fry the onion in the oil for about five minutes or until soft. Add the garlic. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Simmer slowly for two or three minutes.
- Stir in the nuts, cranberries, vinegar and seasoning.
- Sprinkle the oats on top. Stir well.
- Add the stock and cranberry water, stirring all the time.
- Spoon the mix into a greased or lined 2lb loaf tin. Bake for 25 mins at Gas Mark 5.
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.