cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Creamy Parsnip Soup
How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup?
This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use fresh ones, slice down the length of the parsnip, no need to peel, place on a baking tray, with some onions, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
If using the frozen ones, roast the parsnips as per packet instructions, adding onions to your roasting tray.
Place the cooked vegetables with all the remaining ingredients into your food processor and blitz until smooth. Or use a stick blender, that’s my preferred blitzer, easier to wash up too!
When ready to eat, reheat on a gentle simmer in a saucepan, or i the microwave. Take care not to boil as this may cause the cream to split.
What is Creamy Parsnip Soup Like?
Creamy and delicious. This scrumptious and easy parsnip soup can be prepared at any time that is convenient and frozen, ready for an instant lunch. Especially if you are enjoying it in Christmas week, when things can get a little hectic!
What Changes Can I Make?
- The obvious addition is a generous tablespoon of curry powder or paste for the classic curried parsnip soup.
- Add a medium sized apple. Quarter and core, but no need to peel.
- Add a carrot to the roasting tray.
- Add a couple of cubes of frozen spinach after blitzing the soup, while it is still hot.
- Add a handful of peas after blitzing, so they stay whole.
- Sprinkle a few cumin or pumpkin seeds on top of the bowl when serving.
- Add some chickpeas, white beans or butter beans and either leave them whole, or blitz them in.
- Try adding a little acidity with a tablespoon or two of lemon juice or any vinegar except malt, which is too harsh. Add a little at a time, stirring well, then tasting, adding more if needed
More Delicious Soup
- 320 g onions chopped
- 320 g parsnips asda frozen roasted parsnips
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 780 ml stock made with a chicken (or vegetable) stock cube, warm
- 1 tsp nutmeg or ground mixed spice
- 60 ml double cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Roast the parsnips as per packet instructions, adding the onions to your roasting tray.
- Place the cooked vegetables with all the remaining ingredients into your food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Reheat to a gentle simmer for 5 mins in a saucepan, taking care not to boil as this may cause the cream to split.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthNo Cook ChocolateTrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist! They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping them in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.