cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
French Onion Soup
- 1.8 kg onions thinly sliced
- 60 ml oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed or chopped finely
- 4 pts stock made with 3 chicken oxo cubes
- salt and black pepper
- 24 slices home made bread
- Place a saucepan or casserole on a high heat and heat the oil.
- When this is very hot, add the onions and garlic and keep turning them from time to time until the edges of the onions have turned dark, this will take about 6 minutes.
- Then reduce the heat to its lowest setting and leave the onions to carry on cooking very slowly for about 30 minutes, by which time the base of the pan will be covered with a rich, nut brown, caramelised film.
- After that, pour in the stock, season, then stir with a wooden spoon, over a medium heat, scraping the base of the pan well.
- As soon as it all comes up to simmering point, turn down the heat to its lowest setting, then go away and leave it to cook very gently, without a lid, for about 1 hour.
- Click to start a 60 minute timer
- Serve a third of the recipe for one meal, if following our christmas planner. Refrigerate or freeze the remaining portions until needed. Will keep for 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.