cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 380 g bread cubed (approximately 1 loaf of homemade bread from a 2lb loaf tin)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 5 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cans plum tomatoes
- 110 g onion sliced into tiny, tiny pieces (since you're going to eat it raw)
- 1/3 pack fresh basil (optional), torn into little pieces, and the stems snipped into tiny cubes (approx 5 large leaves and stems)
- Cube the bread. If it is stale, soak it in a couple of tablespoons of water before adding the dressing and tomatoes.
- Drain the tomatoes and chop them, reserving all the juices. Chop the onion very finely. First cut it into two halves, put the cut side down onto your chopping board, slice as thinly as your knife will allow, gather together your slice onion and cut finely again you should now have finely diced onion.
- Put the bread in a salad bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients. Let the panzanella stand for ten minutes to give the bread time to absorb some flavor, and serve. This will give 4 generous portions. The balsamic adds a little extra tartness that is very tasty!
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.