cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 120 g raisins
- 20 ml veg oil
- 200 g flour self raising
- 50 g sugar
- 80 g lard
- 70 g oat instant oats
- Soak the raisins in some left over tea to soak up and get plump.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and cereal and rub in the lard.
- Stir in the raisins and then the oil and tea from soaking the raisins, to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
- Pat out to a round 2cm thick.
- Use a 1.5in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little water.
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7
- Bake for 12 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack
- Click here to start a 12 minute timer
- Makes 24 little scones, make 4 batches in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.