cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Tangy Bean Pate
This tangy bean pate is made using baked beans.
The beans can be changed for a tin of anything else, butter beans, white beans, green lentils, mixed spicy beans, chickpeas etc
Make twice in the month, if following option one or once if following option 2 – allow 25 g per person per meal and 2 slices of home made bread
- 1 can baked beans
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- 100 ml oil
- 46 g breadcrumbs leftover end bit of homemade bread (approx 46g) broken into breadcrumbs
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
Home made bread
- 24 slices home made bread from your bread making this week
- Put all ingredients together (except the oil) in a saucepan and simmer for around 10 mins or until the beans are ready to fall apart under the gentle pressure of your potato masher, or a fork.
- Mash up the pate.
- Leave to cool.
- Add the oil and remash/mix.
- You can make this in your food processor too, less mashing!
- Store in a bowl, covered with cling film or a plastic tub with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.