cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Tangy Bean Pate
This tangy bean pate is made using baked beans.
The beans can be changed for a tin of anything else, butter beans, white beans, green lentils, mixed spicy beans, chickpeas etc
Make twice in the month, if following option one or once if following option 2 – allow 25 g per person per meal and 2 slices of home made bread
- 1 can baked beans
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- 100 ml oil
- 46 g breadcrumbs leftover end bit of homemade bread (approx 46g) broken into breadcrumbs
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
Home made bread
- 24 slices home made bread from your bread making this week
- Put all ingredients together (except the oil) in a saucepan and simmer for around 10 mins or until the beans are ready to fall apart under the gentle pressure of your potato masher, or a fork.
- Mash up the pate.
- Leave to cool.
- Add the oil and remash/mix.
- You can make this in your food processor too, less mashing!
- Store in a bowl, covered with cling film or a plastic tub with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.