cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Tangy Bean Pate
This tangy bean pate is made using baked beans.
The beans can be changed for a tin of anything else, butter beans, white beans, green lentils, mixed spicy beans, chickpeas etc
Make twice in the month, if following option one or once if following option 2 – allow 25 g per person per meal and 2 slices of home made bread
- 1 can baked beans
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 dessertspoon lemon juice
- 100 ml oil
- 46 g breadcrumbs leftover end bit of homemade bread (approx 46g) broken into breadcrumbs
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
Home made bread
- 24 slices home made bread from your bread making this week
- Put all ingredients together (except the oil) in a saucepan and simmer for around 10 mins or until the beans are ready to fall apart under the gentle pressure of your potato masher, or a fork.
- Mash up the pate.
- Leave to cool.
- Add the oil and remash/mix.
- You can make this in your food processor too, less mashing!
- Store in a bowl, covered with cling film or a plastic tub with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 4 days.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.