cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Tomato & Olive Pudding
This is lovely as a pudding, but I usually bake it as a pie
for the pastry:
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 90 ml veg oil
- pinch salt
for the filling:
- 1 can plum tomatoes chopped
- 60 g olives roughly chopped
- dessertspoon oregano
- 50 g red lentils
- Mix the flour, oil and salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Simmer the lentils together with the olives, oregano, chopped tomatoes and all the juices from the tomato can, once you've chopped the tomatoes. Do this for 5-10 minutes over a medium heat.
- Line your pudding basin with approx half to 1 cm thick layer of pastry (keeping ⅓ for a lid, then fill with the tomato and onion and olive mix, and then use the remaining ⅓ as a lid.)
- This will only fill your basin to approximately ¾ full, but don’t worry, it will grow when you steam it.
- Place a pleated piece of foil over the top and tie it around the rim (illustrated, right) and steam for approx 2-3 hrs in the slow cooker, or on your hob in a bain marie until the pastry is bulging above the top of your pudding basin.
- Serve with 80g carrots per person and 200g potato per person, made into wedges.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.