cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 36 g tomato puree
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g flour self raising
- 70 g lard
- 200 g oats instant oat kind
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- enough water to make a soft dough
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and cereal and rub in the lard.
- Stir in the puree and then the oil, water, spices, and vinegar to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to around 2cm thick.
- Use a 1.5in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little salt water.
- Bake for 12 minutes until risen and orangey golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Click here to start a 12 minute timer
- We made 24 from this batch.
- Make 3 batches in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.