cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 2 tsps garlic
- 265 g onions chopped finely
- 40 g tomato puree
- 250 g carrots grated
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 400 g kidney beans drained, lightly mashed with a fork
- 55 g flour self raising
- 80 g oats instant oat cereal
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil to fry
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and scrunch the mixture together to form a dough-like consistency.
- Allow to stand for as long as you can. It will seem too dry at first, but the juices from the carrot and onion will emerge and get combined with the oats. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan, and on a low heat cook tablespoon sized splats of your mix.
- Serve these with either homemade potato wedges or potato salad.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.