cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Winter Squash Risotto
A winter squash risotto (butternut squash) with peas too. Add other veg as well if you like
- 500 g butternut squash
- 500 g rice
- 80 ml oil
- 20 g creamed coconut
- 80 g peas frozen
- 20 g yeast extract 1.5 litres stock made with 4 teaspoons (20g) yeast extract/marmite
- salt, pepper, garlic
- Cut the butternut squash into small cubes. Toss with a little oil, salt and pepper and roast them for approx 25 mins at gas mark 5
- Use 40 ml oil to start the risotto off, warm it in a pan, add the rice, stir it around until all the rice grains are coated
- Have the stock hot in a separate saucepan, and boil the kettle
- Add the stock a ladleful at a time, stirring until most of the liquid has been absorbed
- When you have used up all the stock, use hot water from the kettle. You may need another litre
- When the rice has absorbed all the liquid and is sloppy and cooked, stir in the coconut, squash and peas. Add salt to taste, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.