cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Chicken & Onion Pie
A delicious pie that can also be steamed as a pudding
- 200 g chicken (approximately 1/4 of the meat from a 1.25kg chicken)
- 320 g onions chopped
- 50 g flour
- 2 ladelfulls stock from poaching the chicken
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper
- 300 g flour
- 75 g oil
- pinch salt
- 320 g carrots
- 800 g potatoes
- Combine the flour and a little stock in a mug and blend to a smooth paste. Cook the onions in a little stock until softened, then add your flour paste, seasonings and the chicken (chopped finely), stir the sauce until the chicken falls apart into the liquid in tender shreds.
- You are aiming for a thickish sauce the consistency of natural yoghurt, so add your stock until it forms this consistency.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry. Put flour, oil and salt in a mixing bowl and mix with enough cold water to bring the pastry dough away from the sides of the mixing bowl (roughly 90 ml). Use a spoon to mix, to not attempt to rub together
- Stretch 2/3rds round the base and sides of your pyrex flat-bottomed dish pressing out with your finger tips, trying not to let any areas go thinner than half a centimeter.Or use a pie dish. Or if you are going to make a steamed pudding, use a pudding basin
- Place your chicken and onion mix inside, stretch the remaining third over the top, sealing the lid to the edges with a wet finger. If you have too much filling, great, keep it to make a gravy to serve with the pie.
- Bake at gas mark 4 for approx 30-35 min until gently golden. Or steam in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours.
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- If you make more than one pie, cool the pie thoroughly and then freeze covered for up to two months.
- Serve with 80g carrots and 200g potato per person. Cook the potatoes however you like them, mashed, jkt, chips etc
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.