cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Chicken & Onion Pie
A delicious pie that can also be steamed as a pudding
- 200 g chicken (approximately 1/4 of the meat from a 1.25kg chicken)
- 320 g onions chopped
- 50 g flour
- 2 ladelfulls stock from poaching the chicken
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt and pepper
- 300 g flour
- 75 g oil
- pinch salt
- 320 g carrots
- 800 g potatoes
- Combine the flour and a little stock in a mug and blend to a smooth paste. Cook the onions in a little stock until softened, then add your flour paste, seasonings and the chicken (chopped finely), stir the sauce until the chicken falls apart into the liquid in tender shreds.
- You are aiming for a thickish sauce the consistency of natural yoghurt, so add your stock until it forms this consistency.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry. Put flour, oil and salt in a mixing bowl and mix with enough cold water to bring the pastry dough away from the sides of the mixing bowl (roughly 90 ml). Use a spoon to mix, to not attempt to rub together
- Stretch 2/3rds round the base and sides of your pyrex flat-bottomed dish pressing out with your finger tips, trying not to let any areas go thinner than half a centimeter.Or use a pie dish. Or if you are going to make a steamed pudding, use a pudding basin
- Place your chicken and onion mix inside, stretch the remaining third over the top, sealing the lid to the edges with a wet finger. If you have too much filling, great, keep it to make a gravy to serve with the pie.
- Bake at gas mark 4 for approx 30-35 min until gently golden. Or steam in a slow cooker for 3-4 hours.
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- If you make more than one pie, cool the pie thoroughly and then freeze covered for up to two months.
- Serve with 80g carrots and 200g potato per person. Cook the potatoes however you like them, mashed, jkt, chips etc
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.