cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
I’ve tweaked this recipe rather from the 2010 original, reducing the sugar, increasing the flour, and changing to a solid fat. I usually use butter now, but any solid fat would work as you can’t actually taste that it’s butter
If you’d still like to use the original quantities, they were
- 200 g margarine or butter
- 200 g dark chocolate broken up
- 100 g flour sifted, self-raising
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 25cm/8" square baking tin
- Line a 25cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Or if your tin is silicone, you don't need to do this step
- In a large bowl over some simmering water, melt the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Beat the eggs and whisk into the melted chocolate until you have a smooth consistency. It will probably thicken a little.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and oil, then add this to the chocolate mixture. Stir together well.
- Pour your brownie mix into the baking tray, and bake for around 25 minutes. If your baking tray is silicone, you may need to stand it on a baking tray as well
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
- You don't want to overcook them so, they should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Allow to cool in the tray, then transfer to a chopping board and cut into 20 squares.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.