cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
I’ve tweaked this recipe rather from the 2010 original, reducing the sugar, increasing the flour, and changing to a solid fat. I usually use butter now, but any solid fat would work as you can’t actually taste that it’s butter
If you’d still like to use the original quantities, they were
- 200 g margarine or butter
- 200 g dark chocolate broken up
- 100 g flour sifted, self-raising
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 25cm/8" square baking tin
- Line a 25cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Or if your tin is silicone, you don't need to do this step
- In a large bowl over some simmering water, melt the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Beat the eggs and whisk into the melted chocolate until you have a smooth consistency. It will probably thicken a little.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and oil, then add this to the chocolate mixture. Stir together well.
- Pour your brownie mix into the baking tray, and bake for around 25 minutes. If your baking tray is silicone, you may need to stand it on a baking tray as well
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
- You don't want to overcook them so, they should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Allow to cool in the tray, then transfer to a chopping board and cut into 20 squares.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.