cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
I’ve tweaked this recipe rather from the 2010 original, reducing the sugar, increasing the flour, and changing to a solid fat. I usually use butter now, but any solid fat would work as you can’t actually taste that it’s butter
If you’d still like to use the original quantities, they were
- 200 g margarine or butter
- 200 g dark chocolate broken up
- 100 g flour sifted, self-raising
- 200 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Line a 25cm/8" square baking tin
- Line a 25cm square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Or if your tin is silicone, you don't need to do this step
- In a large bowl over some simmering water, melt the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Beat the eggs and whisk into the melted chocolate until you have a smooth consistency. It will probably thicken a little.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, sugar and oil, then add this to the chocolate mixture. Stir together well.
- Pour your brownie mix into the baking tray, and bake for around 25 minutes. If your baking tray is silicone, you may need to stand it on a baking tray as well
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
- You don't want to overcook them so, they should be slightly springy on the outside but still gooey in the middle. Allow to cool in the tray, then transfer to a chopping board and cut into 20 squares.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.