cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
There is 15p per person, per day, allocated in the given budget for the month for fruit. This isn’t much and you will need to shop carefully if you want to stick with this.
The meal plan is priced at Asda as they have many ingredients that Lidl and Aldi do not. If you can get fruit cheaper there, or in a market, you’ll get more for your money
At the time of writing (June 2020) the following could be had at Asda
Kiwi – 15p each
Small apples – 17p each
Some bananas – 15p each
Grapes at £2.50 kg, 60g a portion
A whole pineapple for 90p, so 6 portions
Frozen berry medley, £3 a kilo, 20 portions (50g each)
Watermelon slices 35p, so 2 portions
Value tin peaches, 2 portions
Value tin pineapple, 2 portions
Value mandarins, 2 portions
A whole coconut for 59p for lots of fun getting all the meat out (I know it doesn’t count as fruit in this context)
Maybe splash out 58p on a tin of Asda evaporated milk and add a splash to a portion of the tinned or frozen fruit (not vegan of course)
- 120 g raisins
- 100 ml vegetable oil
- 210 g self raising flour
- 50 g sugar
- 60 g instant oat cereal
- Soak 120g raisins in some left over tea to soak up and get plump. Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and cereal.
- Stir in the raisins and then the oil and tea from soaking the raisins, to get a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat or gently roll out to around 2cm thick. Use a 1.5in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little water. Bake for 12 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Makes 24 little scones, make 4 batches in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.