cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
This homemade pizza recipe makes 12 individual ones. Eat 4, freeze 8 for later
Or make 3 larger pizzas and divide at the table
All kinds of bits and pieces from the fridge can be popped onto a pizza. What have you got in there?
For the dough
- 20 g dried yeast
- 3 tsp salt
- dessertspoon sugar
- 1500 g bread flour
- drizzle oil plus extra for greasing
- 1 litre lukewarm water
For the tomato sauce
- 300 g onions sliced into rings
- 3 tsps garlic powder
- 6 cans chopped tomatoes
- 30 g tomato puree
- freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g cheese to sprinkle
- Put yeast in approx. 300ml hand hot water with sugar, leave to stand in a warm place until a frothy head has formed.
- Meanwhile warm flour on top of your oven while it cooks something else! Add the salt to the flour, then a drizzle of oil, then begin to add the warm yeasty water.
- When that’s combined, add more hand hot water until you have a dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide this dough into 12 equal portions and stretch them into thin discs approx 9 ins in diameter, on baking sheets.
- If you would prefer, you can make 1/3rd of the dough into a large square pizza, and serve a quarter of this per person, as shown in the image above
- Put these in a warm place for approx 45 minutes to 1 hr until fat and puffy.
- While this is happening, prepare your sauce: fry the onions and seasonings in the oil, add tomatoes and reduce down until it is a thick glossy sauce
Baking your pizzas
- When the pizza bases are puffed, pop them in the oven at gas 6 for 2 minutes, remove, ladle on 1/12th of the sauce spreading thinly, bake for 4 more minutes, then sprinkle with cheese (1/12th) and bake again til cheese melts.
- Just after sprinkling with the cheese, but before the last baking is the best time to freeze these.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.