cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
This homemade pizza recipe makes 12 individual ones. Eat 4, freeze 8 for later
Or make 3 larger pizzas and divide at the table
All kinds of bits and pieces from the fridge can be popped onto a pizza. What have you got in there?
For the dough
- 20 g dried yeast
- 3 tsp salt
- dessertspoon sugar
- 1500 g bread flour
- drizzle oil plus extra for greasing
- 1 litre lukewarm water
For the tomato sauce
- 300 g onions sliced into rings
- 3 tsps garlic powder
- 6 cans chopped tomatoes
- 30 g tomato puree
- freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g cheese to sprinkle
- Put yeast in approx. 300ml hand hot water with sugar, leave to stand in a warm place until a frothy head has formed.
- Meanwhile warm flour on top of your oven while it cooks something else! Add the salt to the flour, then a drizzle of oil, then begin to add the warm yeasty water.
- When that’s combined, add more hand hot water until you have a dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide this dough into 12 equal portions and stretch them into thin discs approx 9 ins in diameter, on baking sheets.
- If you would prefer, you can make 1/3rd of the dough into a large square pizza, and serve a quarter of this per person, as shown in the image above
- Put these in a warm place for approx 45 minutes to 1 hr until fat and puffy.
- While this is happening, prepare your sauce: fry the onions and seasonings in the oil, add tomatoes and reduce down until it is a thick glossy sauce
Baking your pizzas
- When the pizza bases are puffed, pop them in the oven at gas 6 for 2 minutes, remove, ladle on 1/12th of the sauce spreading thinly, bake for 4 more minutes, then sprinkle with cheese (1/12th) and bake again til cheese melts.
- Just after sprinkling with the cheese, but before the last baking is the best time to freeze these.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.