cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
This homemade pizza recipe makes 12 individual ones. Eat 4, freeze 8 for later
Or make 3 larger pizzas and divide at the table
All kinds of bits and pieces from the fridge can be popped onto a pizza. What have you got in there?
For the dough
- 20 g dried yeast
- 3 tsp salt
- dessertspoon sugar
- 1500 g bread flour
- drizzle oil plus extra for greasing
- 1 litre lukewarm water
For the tomato sauce
- 300 g onions sliced into rings
- 3 tsps garlic powder
- 6 cans chopped tomatoes
- 30 g tomato puree
- freshly ground black pepper
- 250 g cheese to sprinkle
- Put yeast in approx. 300ml hand hot water with sugar, leave to stand in a warm place until a frothy head has formed.
- Meanwhile warm flour on top of your oven while it cooks something else! Add the salt to the flour, then a drizzle of oil, then begin to add the warm yeasty water.
- When that’s combined, add more hand hot water until you have a dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl.
- Divide this dough into 12 equal portions and stretch them into thin discs approx 9 ins in diameter, on baking sheets.
- If you would prefer, you can make 1/3rd of the dough into a large square pizza, and serve a quarter of this per person, as shown in the image above
- Put these in a warm place for approx 45 minutes to 1 hr until fat and puffy.
- While this is happening, prepare your sauce: fry the onions and seasonings in the oil, add tomatoes and reduce down until it is a thick glossy sauce
Baking your pizzas
- When the pizza bases are puffed, pop them in the oven at gas 6 for 2 minutes, remove, ladle on 1/12th of the sauce spreading thinly, bake for 4 more minutes, then sprinkle with cheese (1/12th) and bake again til cheese melts.
- Just after sprinkling with the cheese, but before the last baking is the best time to freeze these.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.