cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Can’t stand liver?
There is 200g of beef mince available that should have been frozen in week 2. You could use that to replace the liver. As you won’t be spending the £1 to buy the liver, you could get some tomato puree to add to your lunchtime pate to make something similar to this beef and sundried tomato paste
Or use it to get another pack of spice for more variety, cumin or ground coriander for instance
- 500 g liver pig's liver, cut into strips
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 300 g onion chopped
- 110 ml vegetable oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 24 slices homemade bread
- Dry fry the chopped onion, garlic and liver and all the juices from the liver pack, adding a tablespoon of water if needed to stop it catching.
- Cook for approx 5-10 mins until the liver is browned, this will take longer if your liver is in large pieces to start off with. You can chop it finer if you like to save cooking time, but some people don't like to handle liver.
- Allow to cool, then blend in your food processor until smooth, adding the oil as you blend.
- Season well. Taste and adjust if necessary
- Place in bowl, cover in cling film and store in a fridge for 4 days.
- If you wish you can freeze in an airtight container and defrost in a fridge before use.
- Or make up your sandwiches and freeze, ready to grab and go
- Serve 10g per person per meal, this is a very thin spread on a sandwich. Make once in the month if following our planner.
- Makes 12 sandwiches, 3 lunches
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.