cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 4 orange carcasses (after making all your carrot cakes), pulverised or chopped into little pieces
- 2 oranges washed and very thinly sliced
- 90 g sugar
- 500 ml water
- Boil all of the above in a pan for approx 25 mins until all the fruit and skin is very mushy.
- Pulverise in a food processor (ideally) or with a stick blender. Decant into sterilized jars. You can leave some whole bits in for texture if you like. Makes approximately 2 and a quarter lb of spread.
- Spread a dessertspoon onto warm toast for a hungry moment…
- Make this once in the month, portion size 20g per person per meal.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.