cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Nut Roast with Bubble and Squeak
Walnuts, peanuts and kidney beans combine in this vegan Sunday roast, served with bubble & squeak – yum!
For the nut roast
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 320 g onions
- 2 tsps garlic
- 50 g flour self raising, although not vital
- 200 ml vegetable stock or water
- 200 g peanuts
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 400 g kidney beans a tin
- 175 g breadcrumbs
- 100 ml vinegar from a jar of sweet red peppers if you have one, or a splash of wine vinegar/balsamic vinegar if not
- dessertspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the bubble and squeak
- 320 g carrots
- 800 g potato
- Finely chop the peanuts. Peel and slice onions
- Saute the onion in the oil for about five minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on top. Stir well. Add the stock or water, stirring all the time.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, and simmer slowly for two or three minutes.
- Lightly crush the kidney beans so that about half of them are crushed or halved, and add these to your mix.
- Stir in the nuts, breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning.
- Spoon the mix into a 2lb loaf tin, greased. Bake for 25 mins
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
Bubble and squeak
- Cut potato and carrot into inch cubes
- Simmer for 15-20 mins until tender, don’t peel the potato, just wash it.
- Drain and mash coarsely (bits of carrot still visible).
- Shape into burger shaped patties about 2 cm thick, and fry in a non-stick pan until the top and bottoms are crispy.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.