cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Nut Roast with Bubble and Squeak
Walnuts, peanuts and kidney beans combine in this vegan Sunday roast, served with bubble & squeak – yum!
For the nut roast
- 1 tbsp oil for frying
- 320 g onions
- 2 tsps garlic
- 50 g flour self raising, although not vital
- 200 ml vegetable stock or water
- 200 g peanuts
- 50 g chopped walnuts
- 400 g kidney beans a tin
- 175 g breadcrumbs
- 100 ml vinegar from a jar of sweet red peppers if you have one, or a splash of wine vinegar/balsamic vinegar if not
- dessertspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the bubble and squeak
- 320 g carrots
- 800 g potato
- Finely chop the peanuts. Peel and slice onions
- Saute the onion in the oil for about five minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic. Cook for a few more minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour on top. Stir well. Add the stock or water, stirring all the time.
- Bring the mixture to the boil, and simmer slowly for two or three minutes.
- Lightly crush the kidney beans so that about half of them are crushed or halved, and add these to your mix.
- Stir in the nuts, breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning.
- Spoon the mix into a 2lb loaf tin, greased. Bake for 25 mins
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
Bubble and squeak
- Cut potato and carrot into inch cubes
- Simmer for 15-20 mins until tender, don’t peel the potato, just wash it.
- Drain and mash coarsely (bits of carrot still visible).
- Shape into burger shaped patties about 2 cm thick, and fry in a non-stick pan until the top and bottoms are crispy.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.