cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Onion and Potato Soup
- 800 g onions
- 400 g potato (washed not peeled) and cubed
- 100 g carrots
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- chilli/garam if you fancy!
- 60 g bacon cut into titchy pieces and fried with the onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 tblsp vinegar
- 6 slices home made bread from your baking this week
- Chop the onion and bacon with about 1tsp of garlic powder and fry them up
- Cube the potatoes (about 1cm cubed) no need to peel if they don't need it. Fry them for a few minutes, sprinkling over the stock cube.
- Then, after about 5 mins cooking, pour in 1.8 litres of hot water from the kettle, sprinkle in some salt and pepper and cover and cook until the veg are soft.
- Whizz up with a stick blender. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve. You can add more water if your soup is too thick.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.