cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Onion and Potato Soup
- 800 g onions
- 400 g potato (washed not peeled) and cubed
- 100 g carrots
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- chilli/garam if you fancy!
- 60 g bacon cut into titchy pieces and fried with the onion
- salt and pepper
- 1 tblsp vinegar
- 6 slices home made bread from your baking this week
- Chop the onion and bacon with about 1tsp of garlic powder and fry them up
- Cube the potatoes (about 1cm cubed) no need to peel if they don't need it. Fry them for a few minutes, sprinkling over the stock cube.
- Then, after about 5 mins cooking, pour in 1.8 litres of hot water from the kettle, sprinkle in some salt and pepper and cover and cook until the veg are soft.
- Whizz up with a stick blender. Taste, adjust seasonings and serve. You can add more water if your soup is too thick.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.