cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Onion Tart Tatin
- 500 g onion (peeled weight), sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp oregano
- 110 ml vegetable oil
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 35 g oat instant oat cereal
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- First make the pastry: mix the flour, oil and mustard and a pinch of salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Leave to rest for half an hour at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prep the filling. Heat the oil and sugar on your hob in an oven and hob-proof dish. (Flan dish, large flat bottomed pyrex lasagne dish, etc)
- Meanwhile, slice the onions. Arrange beautiful slices on the base of your oven-proof dish and cook for around 10 minutes. Then add the balsamic and oregano. Put the oven on at GM 4 or 180C.
- Keep an eye on the pan and cook for another 10 mins, they should go a lovely brown colour but will burn easily. When they are reduced down, gently press down to form an even layer.
- Place your pastry crust on top (doesn’t matter if it doesn’t cover the whole thing or has holes in as the upside-down nature of it means it will still cook!) Bake for 35-40 mins, until golden brown Turn out onto a plate. This will give 4 generous portions. The balsamic adds a little extra tartness that is very tasty!
- serve with 320g peas and 800g carrots
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.