cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Onion Tart Tatin
- 500 g onion (peeled weight), sliced
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp oregano
- 110 ml vegetable oil
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 35 g oat instant oat cereal
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- First make the pastry: mix the flour, oil and mustard and a pinch of salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Leave to rest for half an hour at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, prep the filling. Heat the oil and sugar on your hob in an oven and hob-proof dish. (Flan dish, large flat bottomed pyrex lasagne dish, etc)
- Meanwhile, slice the onions. Arrange beautiful slices on the base of your oven-proof dish and cook for around 10 minutes. Then add the balsamic and oregano. Put the oven on at GM 4 or 180C.
- Keep an eye on the pan and cook for another 10 mins, they should go a lovely brown colour but will burn easily. When they are reduced down, gently press down to form an even layer.
- Place your pastry crust on top (doesn’t matter if it doesn’t cover the whole thing or has holes in as the upside-down nature of it means it will still cook!) Bake for 35-40 mins, until golden brown Turn out onto a plate. This will give 4 generous portions. The balsamic adds a little extra tartness that is very tasty!
- serve with 320g peas and 800g carrots
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.