cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- frying pan
- small sharp knife
- chopping board
- mixing spoon
- fish slice / non-stick spatula
- 450 g pasta
- 200 g onion chopped into little half cm dice
- 1 can tomatoes chopped finely
- 40 g tomato puree
- 10 g Garlic
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 70 g bacon cut into little slithers 1-2 mm x 1 cm with your kitchen scissors
- 60 ml oil
- Fry onions, bacon and seasonings in oil then when onions are softened and beginning to go translucent, add chopped tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, a tspn salt and cook until you have a sauce that is glossy and will coat the pasta like in the picture.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente in a separate saucepan of salted water. Drain well
- Place the cooked pasta into the pan with the sauce, and toss it until each penne shape is coated with glossy tomatoey bacony loveliness.
- The sauce is meant to be a concentrated flavour dressing for the pasta (the Italian way) rather than an enormous blob on the top of plain pasta (the English way!)
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.