cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 450 g pasta
- 200 g onion chopped into little half cm dice
- 1 can tomatoes chopped finely
- 40 g tomato puree
- 10 g Garlic
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- 70 g bacon cut into little slithers 1-2 mm x 1 cm with your kitchen scissors
- 60 ml oil
- Fry onions, bacon and seasonings in oil then when onions are softened and beginning to go translucent, add chopped tomatoes and their juice, tomato paste, a tspn salt and cook until you have a sauce that is glossy and will coat the pasta like in the picture.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente in a separate saucepan of salted water. Drain well
- Place the cooked pasta into the pan with the sauce, and toss it until each penne shape is coated with glossy tomatoey bacony loveliness.
- The sauce is meant to be a concentrated flavour dressing for the pasta (the Italian way) rather than an enormous blob on the top of plain pasta (the English way!)
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.