cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
You can either make this and bake it in the oven for a pasta bake, which means that you can make it in advance. Or you can make and eat straight away, skipping the oven bake part
- 400 g mushrooms smartprice, sliced thinly
- 1 jar juice from garlic stuffed olives plus enough water to make 300ml stock the olives themselves are used elsewhere in the meal plan
- 2 onions (approx 110g) chopped
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 450 g pasta
- 25 g flour
- salt and pepper
- pinch chilli
- 10 ml oil to fry the mushrooms
- 50 ml oil to make a roux
- 320 g peas
- Put pasta on to cook, as per packet instructions.
- Make a roux (a paste, warmed in a saucepan) with the oil and flour. Add 300ml stock in about 4 goes.
- Between each addition of stock stir the mixture until all the liquid incorporates into the flour and oil.
- (If you lift the pan off the heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon after the liquid is incorporated your sauce will be beautifully glossy).
- By the time all the liquid is added you should have a sauce which will coat the back of a spoon. If not add more water or stock.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Fry finely sliced mushrooms and onion. Add to the sauce and season sauce with pepper and salt.
- Stir sauce into cooked pasta.
- Put saucy pasta in baking dish. Cook in the oven at 180 until there are nice brown crunchy bits on the top.
- Serve with the peas
Method 2- For days when you need a quick supper and less washing up
- Cook pasta as above, and fry the onion and mushrooms. Mix the flour, oil, chilli salt and pepper and garlic, whisking with a fork to remove any lumps.
- Add to the onions and mushrooms, then stir the stock in in 4 goes, stirring quickly to avoid lumps.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and stir the sauce through the pasta until fully coated in the garlicky mushroom sauce.
- Eat straight away.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.