cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
You can either make this and bake it in the oven for a pasta bake, which means that you can make it in advance. Or you can make and eat straight away, skipping the oven bake part
- 400 g mushrooms smartprice, sliced thinly
- 1 jar juice from garlic stuffed olives plus enough water to make 300ml stock the olives themselves are used elsewhere in the meal plan
- 2 onions (approx 110g) chopped
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 450 g pasta
- 25 g flour
- salt and pepper
- pinch chilli
- 10 ml oil to fry the mushrooms
- 50 ml oil to make a roux
- 320 g peas
- Put pasta on to cook, as per packet instructions.
- Make a roux (a paste, warmed in a saucepan) with the oil and flour. Add 300ml stock in about 4 goes.
- Between each addition of stock stir the mixture until all the liquid incorporates into the flour and oil.
- (If you lift the pan off the heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon after the liquid is incorporated your sauce will be beautifully glossy).
- By the time all the liquid is added you should have a sauce which will coat the back of a spoon. If not add more water or stock.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Fry finely sliced mushrooms and onion. Add to the sauce and season sauce with pepper and salt.
- Stir sauce into cooked pasta.
- Put saucy pasta in baking dish. Cook in the oven at 180 until there are nice brown crunchy bits on the top.
- Serve with the peas
Method 2- For days when you need a quick supper and less washing up
- Cook pasta as above, and fry the onion and mushrooms. Mix the flour, oil, chilli salt and pepper and garlic, whisking with a fork to remove any lumps.
- Add to the onions and mushrooms, then stir the stock in in 4 goes, stirring quickly to avoid lumps.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and stir the sauce through the pasta until fully coated in the garlicky mushroom sauce.
- Eat straight away.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.