cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Pea and Sundried Tomato
A delicious vegan risotto. Easier to make than you think? Add parmesan if not vegan
- 400 g rice
- 900 g peas frozen
- 80 g sundried tomatoes cut into thin strips, approx 3 mm wide
- 160 g onion diced
- 65 ml oil from your jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- vegetable stock made by dissolving 1 teaspoon yeast extract in hot water (you will need approximately 1 litre of stock).
- salt and pepper
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 1 dessertspoon balsamic vinegar
- Start off by frying onion in the oil until golden brown, then add garlic
- Add the rice and stir well to coat each grain of rice in the seasoned oil.
- Gradually add vegetable stock as you stir, until the rice is cooked and swimming in a thick glossy oniony sauce, this will take approximately 20 minutes.
- Then add the sun-dried tomatoes cut into thin strips, approx 3 mm wide.
- Add peas, then mustard, and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve after just a minute, any more and the peas will overcook and lose their fresh sweetness.
- Add a little salt and black pepper to taste and drizzle some of your oil over the top if you like it to look like a Jamie Oliver recipe!
- The consistency needs to be quite wet, much more like a sloppy risotto than a biryani.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.