cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Pork Tortilla Wraps
There are a lot of calories per serving in this recipe, you may well find you need less. If that is the case, use the remaining ingredients for the same meal in a couple of days time.
- 600 g pork shoulder leftover pork joint, approx 600g meat if not following our planner
- mushroom soup leftover mushroom soup, from christmas day if following our planner, or a half batch of our mushroom soup recipe, if not
- 160 g onions chopped into dice
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 3 tsp veg oil
- 90 ml evaporated milk
- 110 ml water mix with the milk
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Sift flour into a bowl
- Whisk milk, oil and salt
- Pour into flour, stirring to mix
- Once mixed, turn out onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for 2 minutes
- Cover and leave for 15 minutes (it won’t rise but needs to relax)
- Cut into 12 balls (approx 50g each)
- Cover and leave to relax for 10 minutes
- Roll each one out into a circle (approximately 8 inches)
- Heat a heavy frying pan (preferably cast iron)
- Drop in one tortilla and turn after about 2 minutes (the surface should bubble) Press down with a tea towel but be careful that you do not burn your fingers. Place inside a dry tea towel to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.
pork filling method
- Cube the leftover pork, removing any large pieces of fat.
- Chop your onions and fry them adding your pork as soon as the onions have softened.
- Add your leftover mushroom soup and a paste made with 30g flour and up to 90ml of additional water until you reach the right sauce consistency.
- Place a serving spoon sized amount onto the centre of each tortilla, roll and serve. There are 3 tortillas for each person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.