cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Pork Tortilla Wraps
There are a lot of calories per serving in this recipe, you may well find you need less. If that is the case, use the remaining ingredients for the same meal in a couple of days time.
- 600 g pork shoulder leftover pork joint, approx 600g meat if not following our planner
- mushroom soup leftover mushroom soup, from christmas day if following our planner, or a half batch of our mushroom soup recipe, if not
- 160 g onions chopped into dice
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 3 tsp veg oil
- 90 ml evaporated milk
- 110 ml water mix with the milk
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Sift flour into a bowl
- Whisk milk, oil and salt
- Pour into flour, stirring to mix
- Once mixed, turn out onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for 2 minutes
- Cover and leave for 15 minutes (it won’t rise but needs to relax)
- Cut into 12 balls (approx 50g each)
- Cover and leave to relax for 10 minutes
- Roll each one out into a circle (approximately 8 inches)
- Heat a heavy frying pan (preferably cast iron)
- Drop in one tortilla and turn after about 2 minutes (the surface should bubble) Press down with a tea towel but be careful that you do not burn your fingers. Place inside a dry tea towel to keep warm whilst you cook the rest.
pork filling method
- Cube the leftover pork, removing any large pieces of fat.
- Chop your onions and fry them adding your pork as soon as the onions have softened.
- Add your leftover mushroom soup and a paste made with 30g flour and up to 90ml of additional water until you reach the right sauce consistency.
- Place a serving spoon sized amount onto the centre of each tortilla, roll and serve. There are 3 tortillas for each person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.