cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Potato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans
They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges
- 1 kg potatoes washed, skins on
- 20 ml oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Weigh out the potatoes as specified in the recipe.
- Slice in half lengthways, then place the halves cut-side down on a chopping board, halve again, then cut each resulting half in two.
- You should now have 8 chunky potato wedges. If your potatoes are very big, you might want to halve each wedge once more, but that is entirely up to you.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a small bowl, then throw the wedges in, shaking them about until they are covered in oil. If you don't mind getting your fingers greasy, using your hands can help to get even coverage. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and if you would like your wedges spicy, add a bit of chilli powder or garam masala.
- Place the wedges skin-side down on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes on 220 C (200 fan). Start checking after 15 minutes and take out when brown and puffy.
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.