cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 150 g raisins
- 225 g flour self raising
- 125 g sugar
- 125 g lard
- 70 g oats Ready Brek type
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl, cut the lard into small cubes and add it in mixing with fingertips until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Then add enough water to make a dough which comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl and which isn’t sticky to the touch. (approx 4 x 15ml tablespoons).
- Roll out onto a floured surface to 4mm thick, and use a biscuit cutter to form biscuits.
- After you have cut lots of shapes, squidge the leftovers together, re roll and cut out more until all dough is used up.
- Bake at gas mark 6 for 8 mins with this sized cookie cutter (We made 41 biscuits, so if you’ve made lots less, add a few mins cooking time!)
- Click here to start a 6 minute timer
- Make this sized batch twice in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.