cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 150 g raisins
- 225 g flour self raising
- 125 g sugar
- 125 g lard
- 70 g oats Ready Brek type
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Place all dry ingredients in a bowl, cut the lard into small cubes and add it in mixing with fingertips until you have a breadcrumb consistency.
- Then add enough water to make a dough which comes cleanly away from the sides of the bowl and which isn’t sticky to the touch. (approx 4 x 15ml tablespoons).
- Roll out onto a floured surface to 4mm thick, and use a biscuit cutter to form biscuits.
- After you have cut lots of shapes, squidge the leftovers together, re roll and cut out more until all dough is used up.
- Bake at gas mark 6 for 8 mins with this sized cookie cutter (We made 41 biscuits, so if you’ve made lots less, add a few mins cooking time!)
- Click here to start a 6 minute timer
- Make this sized batch twice in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.