cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Red Lentil Pate
Delicious and versatile – add a handful of any cooked or raw and grated firm veg and whizz them in to ring the changes. So leftover garlicky roasted veg grated raw carrot or swede, fennel or cauliflower, or even finely shredded cabbage
- 160 g red lentils dry weight
- 160 g onion finely chopped
- tspn garlic
- 2 tsps marmite or yeast extract
- 500 ml boiling water
- 120 ml veg oil
- dessertspoon balsamic vinegar
- 40 slices homemade bread assumed 2 each, use 4 each if you wish
- Rinse lentils under the cold tap until the water runs clear (swoosh them around in the pan in cold water a couple of times, changing the water each time). Drain and place in a medium saucepan with the onion and garlic.
- Add 2 tsp marmite to 500ml boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- Pour over the lentils, cover and simmer until the water has been absorbed and the lentils have softened (the mixture will look quite dry at this point) Remove lid and leave to cool.
- Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon whilst slowly pouring the vinegar and then the oil into the mixture. Allow to cool, and serve with bread as a lunchtime meal with 2-4 slices of homemade bread, depending on your appetite. This makes enough for 5 lunches for 4 people, make it once in the month if following our planner.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.