cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Risi e Bisi
Keep an eye on the rice towards the end of the cooking time. It needs to retain a bite, you don’t want it cooked to a mush
- 40 g Grana Padano
- 50 g bacon pieces cut into tiny pieces, less than half a centimetre
- 160 g onions chopped finely
- 400 g dried peas dried weight marrowfat peas. Soaked and cooked as per packet instructions
- 400 g rice
- 65 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsps mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 stock cube
- Fry the bacon in the oil until crisp, then remove it with a slotted spoon and keep to one side.
- Fry the onion and garlic, in the remaining oil until soft.
- Add rice and peas, then stock and mustard.
- Bring to boil, turn down to simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Click here to start a 15 minute timer
- You may need more liquid so top up with hot water from the kettle.
- When nearly done ( the rice will still have a bit of a bite to it), stir in half the cheese and the reserved bacon pieces, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese (looks a pathetically small amount but persevere!) on top.
- Add a little more cracked black pepper and drizzle some of your oil over the top if you like it to look like a Jamie Oliver recipe!
- The consistency needs to be quite wet, much more like a sloppy risotto than a biryani.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthNo Cook ChocolateTrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist! They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping them in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.