cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Make once in the month- allow 27g per person per meal. Keep in a cool place
Serve with 2-3 slices of home made bread for children, 3-4 slices for adults. Toasted is good
If you are not following the full meal plan, this lovely vegan curd can be used on top of scones or pancakes. Or dip bits of other fruit in it, banana slices would be lovely
If you have any spare lemon zest, that would make a lovely addition, or perhaps add some mixed spice or cinnamon for a delicious autumnal taste
- 1 kg bramley apples cut up into pieces, only stalk removed (trust me!)
- 150 g sugar
- 120 ml oil a neutral vegetable oil
- 3 tbsps water to stop the apples burning as they puree
- 12 slices home made bread
- Put apple, water and sugar into a pan and cook gently until apples have softened and you have a very mushy puree.
- Allow to cool to hand hot or cooler, and then pour into liquidiser/blender.
- Blitz this for a few mins while gently incorporating the oil.
- All the skins, pips and core should become part of the finished product, but if your processor isn’t up to it, you may need to sieve it.
- If you do, still eat the skins as they are great for fibre!
- Pour into sterilised jars, seal and store in the fridge for up to a month.
- Serve with homemade bread, as toast if you like
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.