cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Risi e Bisi
Keep an eye on the rice towards the end of the cooking time. It needs to retain a bite, you don’t want it cooked to a mush
- 40 g Grana Padano
- 50 g bacon pieces cut into tiny pieces, less than half a centimetre
- 160 g onions chopped finely
- 400 g dried peas dried weight marrowfat peas. Soaked and cooked as per packet instructions
- 400 g rice
- 65 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsps mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 stock cube
- Fry the bacon in the oil until crisp, then remove it with a slotted spoon and keep to one side.
- Fry the onion and garlic, in the remaining oil until soft.
- Add rice and peas, then stock and mustard.
- Bring to boil, turn down to simmer and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Click here to start a 15 minute timer
- You may need more liquid so top up with hot water from the kettle.
- When nearly done ( the rice will still have a bit of a bite to it), stir in half the cheese and the reserved bacon pieces, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese (looks a pathetically small amount but persevere!) on top.
- Add a little more cracked black pepper and drizzle some of your oil over the top if you like it to look like a Jamie Oliver recipe!
- The consistency needs to be quite wet, much more like a sloppy risotto than a biryani.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.