cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Roast Onion Hoummous
Now a classic hummus flavour, but much nicer home made!
- 100 g dried chick peas dry weight chick peas cooked as per packet instructions
- 50 ml oil
- 100 g onion chopped very finely
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp chilli
- 1 dessertspoon balsamic vinegar
- 10 g sugar
- 16 slices homemade bread
- Place onion on baking sheet.
- Mix vinegar and sugar together and drizzle over the onions.
- Turn onion over with hands until covered.
- Bake at the bottom of the oven (underneath something else you are cooking) until softened and browned turning over occasionally (at 200C this takes about 30 minutes)
- Place the chick peas, garlic, chilli and seasonings in a food processor, then gradually add the oil whilst pulsing the food processor until you have achieved a loose runny consistency a bit like natural yoghurt or double cream. Stir the roasted onions and their juices through your finished houmous.
- Make once in the month- serve 10g per person per meal, can be frozen.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.