cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Spinach and potatoes, a very popular option – make it as spicy as you like!
- 1 kg potatoes cubed into 2cm pieces
- 500 g spinach
- 400 g onion chopped
- 50 g fresh ginger grated
- dessertspoon garam masala
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 100 g red lentils
- 50 ml veg oil
- 1 pint water to stop the curry burning as it cooks
- 200 g rice
- Fry garam masala, ginger and garlic and chilli in oil for a minute, then add the onions and lentils stirring until coated and onions are translucent, approx 5 mins.
- Stir the cubes of potato in until coated, then add the spinach.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until the potato has cooked through, testing with a knife after 10 mins and then every 5 mins ish.
- When the curry gets too dry, keep adding some more water, you will need a fair bit, as the lentils are thirsty! Taste and as salt as desired.
- Serve with 50g (dry weight) rice per person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.