cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Spinach and potatoes, a very popular option – make it as spicy as you like!
- 1 kg potatoes cubed into 2cm pieces
- 500 g spinach
- 400 g onion chopped
- 50 g fresh ginger grated
- dessertspoon garam masala
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- ½ tsp chilli
- 100 g red lentils
- 50 ml veg oil
- 1 pint water to stop the curry burning as it cooks
- 200 g rice
- Fry garam masala, ginger and garlic and chilli in oil for a minute, then add the onions and lentils stirring until coated and onions are translucent, approx 5 mins.
- Stir the cubes of potato in until coated, then add the spinach.
- Reduce heat, and simmer until the potato has cooked through, testing with a knife after 10 mins and then every 5 mins ish.
- When the curry gets too dry, keep adding some more water, you will need a fair bit, as the lentils are thirsty! Taste and as salt as desired.
- Serve with 50g (dry weight) rice per person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.