cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
If you don’t fancy potatoes this way, you could mash them instead
- 130 g parsnips frozen, roasted as per packet instructions and cut into 2cm pieces
- 160 g onion diced
- 240 g carrots diced
- 170 g green lentils
- 2 tsps marmite made into a stock with approx 700ml hot water
- 50 ml veg oil
- garlic, salt, pepper
- 1 dessertspoon dried oregano
- 500 g potato sliced into 3mm thick slices and par boiled for 10 mins
- 240 g peas
- Put parsnip in the oven to roast.
- Meanwhile, fry onion, garlic, carrot for a few mins until browned, then add lentils, stir until oil and garlic is absorbed, then add the water, oregano and stock..
- Cook for 40'ish mins until the lentils are soft to the tooth and have absorbed all the water and stock, add parsnips.
- Click here to start a 40 minute timer
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed, your stock may be salty enough and therefore not needed
- Fill an oven dish with your lentil and vegetable mixture.
- Season your potato slices, then layer them on top of the lentil mixture.
- Bake for 15 mins at gas 6 until tops of potato are crispy and browned.
- Click here to start a 15 minute timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.