cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
If you don’t fancy potatoes this way, you could mash them instead
- 130 g parsnips frozen, roasted as per packet instructions and cut into 2cm pieces
- 160 g onion diced
- 240 g carrots diced
- 170 g green lentils
- 2 tsps marmite made into a stock with approx 700ml hot water
- 50 ml veg oil
- garlic, salt, pepper
- 1 dessertspoon dried oregano
- 500 g potato sliced into 3mm thick slices and par boiled for 10 mins
- 240 g peas
- Put parsnip in the oven to roast.
- Meanwhile, fry onion, garlic, carrot for a few mins until browned, then add lentils, stir until oil and garlic is absorbed, then add the water, oregano and stock..
- Cook for 40'ish mins until the lentils are soft to the tooth and have absorbed all the water and stock, add parsnips.
- Click here to start a 40 minute timer
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed, your stock may be salty enough and therefore not needed
- Fill an oven dish with your lentil and vegetable mixture.
- Season your potato slices, then layer them on top of the lentil mixture.
- Bake for 15 mins at gas 6 until tops of potato are crispy and browned.
- Click here to start a 15 minute timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.