cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Spicy Bean Burgers
- 2 tsps garlic
- 70 g parsnips roasted
- 300 g butternut squash chopped
- 140 g onion finely chopped
- 40 g tomato purée
- 80 g carrots grated
- 90 ml vegetable oil
- 400 g kidney beans drained, lightly mashed with a fork
- 55 g self-raising flour
- 80 g oats instant oat cereal
- tsp garam masala
- tsp chilli powder
- tsp mustard powder
- dessertspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil to fry
- Oven bake your parsnips and diced butternut squash together on a baking sheet, with a little extra oil and some salt.
- When they are cooked, snip the parsnips into 1 cm pieces with your kitchen scissors.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl (other than oil for frying) and scrunch the mixture together to form a dough-like consistency.
- Allow to stand for as long as you can. It will seem too dry at first, but the juices from the carrot and onion will emerge and get combined with the oats. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan, and on a low heat cook tablespoon sized splats of your mix.
- Serve these with either homemade potato wedges or potato salad. Allow 225g potato per person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.