cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Spicy Pea Soup
A spicy pea soup made using dried marrowfat peas, apple and spice.
Leave it un-blitzed if you prefer it that way
- 200 g dried peas marrowfat peas, soaked and cooked as per packet instructions
- 150 g Bramley apple
- 200 g onion
- 65 ml oil
- 50 g flour
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp garlic
- salt and pepper
- 16 slices home made bread from your bread making this week
- Chop apple and onion with minimal waste.
- Fry in oil, until onions are soft and a bit see-through.
- Add flour, spices and peas and stir until flour has become a sticky paste with the oil and has coated everything, then add approx 3/4 litre water or stock. Add the liquid in little bits stirring well after each addition to prevent lumps.
- Blitz in food processor or using a stick blender or liquidiser, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with 4 slices of homemade bread each.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.