cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Spicy Pea Soup
A spicy pea soup made using dried marrowfat peas, apple and spice.
Leave it un-blitzed if you prefer it that way
- 200 g dried peas marrowfat peas, soaked and cooked as per packet instructions
- 150 g Bramley apple
- 200 g onion
- 65 ml oil
- 50 g flour
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp garlic
- salt and pepper
- 16 slices home made bread from your bread making this week
- Chop apple and onion with minimal waste.
- Fry in oil, until onions are soft and a bit see-through.
- Add flour, spices and peas and stir until flour has become a sticky paste with the oil and has coated everything, then add approx 3/4 litre water or stock. Add the liquid in little bits stirring well after each addition to prevent lumps.
- Blitz in food processor or using a stick blender or liquidiser, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Serve with 4 slices of homemade bread each.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.