cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
A simple recipe using just sweetcorn, onion and batter to make little fritters. Great to whip up as an anytime snack for hungry after schoolers or hollow legged teenagers as well as a main family meal.
How do I make vegetable fritters
You just need to combine all the ingredients except the frying oil in a bowl and stir well together.
Then add blobs to a hot oiled frying pan and fry until golden, flip over and fry the other side.
If making them for dinner, serve with some peas and oven wedges
What vegetables can be used in fritters
Any firm vegetable can be substituted for the sweetcorn. Most times I would include the onion, but if you don’t have any or don’t want to use any, they still work just fine.
- just onions
- grated swede
- grated carrot
- grated parsnip
- tiny cauliflower florets
- tiny broccoli florets
- broad beans
- edamame beans
- mixed frozen vegetables
What spices can be used in vegetable fritters
You can also omit the spice, using just a little salt and pepper, or use a different spicing.
- a heaped tsp each of ground coriander and ground cumin
- a tblsp of a spice paste from a jar, any flavour
- use whole coriander and cumin seeds for a different texture
- sumach or dried ground green mango give a lovely tang
- add a little tamarind paste. Go carefully, this is strong, try a little, then add more if it needs it
- a heaped tsp of ground ginger, or fresh grated ginger and a crushed clove of garlic
- if you like spicy heat, add a little chilli or lots of ground black pepper
Can I make vegetable fritters gluten free
That’s a very easy adaptation for this recipe. You can either use gluten free flour, easily obtainable now in most supermarkets. Or use gram (chickpea) flour, which is naturally gluten free and is delicious used for these
You might also like these mixed vegetable spicy fritters
Or these supercheap fritters using mushy peas
- 140 g onion diced finely
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 100 g self raising flour
- 2 tsps garam masala
- 300 g sweetcorn
- water to form a stiff dropping consistency
- 900 g potato for wedges
- Combine all ingredients except 30 ml of the oil (reserved for frying).
- Fry heaped dessertspoons of the mix, in the oil in your non-stick frying pan. Makes approximately 16.
- Serve with 225g potato wedges each. (900g potato in total)
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.