cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Tomato & Olive Pudding
This is lovely as a pudding, but I usually bake it as a pie
for the pastry:
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 90 ml veg oil
- pinch salt
for the filling:
- 1 can plum tomatoes chopped
- 60 g olives roughly chopped
- dessertspoon oregano
- 50 g red lentils
- Mix the flour, oil and salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Simmer the lentils together with the olives, oregano, chopped tomatoes and all the juices from the tomato can, once you've chopped the tomatoes. Do this for 5-10 minutes over a medium heat.
- Line your pudding basin with approx half to 1 cm thick layer of pastry (keeping ⅓ for a lid, then fill with the tomato and onion and olive mix, and then use the remaining ⅓ as a lid.)
- This will only fill your basin to approximately ¾ full, but don’t worry, it will grow when you steam it.
- Place a pleated piece of foil over the top and tie it around the rim (illustrated, right) and steam for approx 2-3 hrs in the slow cooker, or on your hob in a bain marie until the pastry is bulging above the top of your pudding basin.
- Serve with 80g carrots per person and 200g potato per person, made into wedges.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.