cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
This simple and delicious soup uses up all kinds of vegetable this and that. Add anything else that needs using too, soup is a great way to help love your leftovers
- 510 g onion
- 130 g peas
- 290 g carrot
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 250 g potatoes
- 50 g swede
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop all the vegetables (except peas) into small cubes.
- Fry the chopped onions in the oil, adding in the other chopped veg when they have softened. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Gradually add 500ml water and your seasonings and cook with a lid on the pan for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are easily speared with a knife. You may need to add more water to achieve the desired texture. (You are aiming for a thick soup)
- Then add the peas and blitz in a food processor, liquidizer or with a stick blender.
- Serve with bread and butter or toast if you like
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.