cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
This simple and delicious soup uses up all kinds of vegetable this and that. Add anything else that needs using too, soup is a great way to help love your leftovers
- 510 g onion
- 130 g peas
- 290 g carrot
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 250 g potatoes
- 50 g swede
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Chop all the vegetables (except peas) into small cubes.
- Fry the chopped onions in the oil, adding in the other chopped veg when they have softened. Cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Gradually add 500ml water and your seasonings and cook with a lid on the pan for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are easily speared with a knife. You may need to add more water to achieve the desired texture. (You are aiming for a thick soup)
- Then add the peas and blitz in a food processor, liquidizer or with a stick blender.
- Serve with bread and butter or toast if you like
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.