cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Chocolate Nut Cheesecake
- 100 g digestive biscuits Asda smartprice
- 50 g salted peanuts Asda smartprice
- 50 g chocolate Asda smartprice, plain
- 2 tbps vegetable oil
For the filling
- 250 g soft cheese Asda smartprice
- 2 eggs Asda cooks eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g sugar granulated
- 115 g natural yogurt Asda smartprice
- 150 g salted peanuts Asda smartprice
- 2 tbsp oil to turn it into peanut butter
For the Topping
- 125 g natural yogurt Asda smartprice
- 50 g chocolate Asda smartprice, plain, chopped
- 15 g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°c/325F/Gas 3
- For the base put the biscuits, nuts, chocolate (broken into chunks, or chopped), and oil in a food processor and mix together.
- Once the mixture comes together in a clump, take out of the processor and press it into the bottom of a 20cm round cake tin or 8" square tin
- Chill this whilst you prepare the cheesecake.
- Make a peanut butter by whizzing together 150g nuts with barely 2 tablespoons of oil until it is very smooth.
- For the filling place the soft cheese, eggs, and egg yolk along with the sugar, yogurt, and peanut butter into a food processor and mix until it is combined.
- Pour the filling mixture onto the cheesecake base
- Cook for an hour, checking after 50 minutes. The top should be golden-coloured and completely set.
- Click here to start a 50 minute timer
- Once the filling is cooked, take it out of the oven while you make the topping.
- Warm the yogurt, sugar and chopped chocolate in a saucepan over very low heat, just until the chocolate is completely melted and it looks like smooth, chocolate-y sauce.
- Spoon the topping over the top of the cheesecake.
- Let the cheesecake cool at room temperature. Once the tin no longer feels warm, put into the fridge for several hours before serving, but ideally overnight.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.