cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 240 g onions diced
- 300 g mince
- 80 g oat instant oat cereal
- 320 g carrots grated
- 2 cans tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 kg potatoes (250g per person)
- Slice and boil 1kg potatoes. Slices need to be approx 3-5mm.
- Fry onions, spices and mince together until onion is softened and meat is browned off.
- Chop tomatoes in the can with your knife and then tip the tomatoes and juice into your pan.
- Add grated carrot and the oats and keep stirring until the oats have cooked out and absorbed the tomatoey juices and the grated carrot has disappeared.
- Transfer from your pan to your oven dish.
- Top with sliced, boiled potatoes.
- Place in oven at gas mark 6 until tops of potatoes have browned, approximately 15 mins.
- Serve with 80g peas per person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.