cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- small sharp knife
- chopping board
- frying pan
- large rectangular baking dish
- tin opener
- mixing spoon
- fish slice / non-stick spatula
- box grater
- digital scales
- 240 g onions diced
- 300 g mince
- 80 g oat instant oat cereal
- 320 g carrots grated
- 2 cans tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 kg potatoes (250g per person)
- Slice and boil 1kg potatoes. Slices need to be approx 3-5mm.
- Fry onions, spices and mince together until onion is softened and meat is browned off.
- Chop tomatoes in the can with your knife and then tip the tomatoes and juice into your pan.
- Add grated carrot and the oats and keep stirring until the oats have cooked out and absorbed the tomatoey juices and the grated carrot has disappeared.
- Transfer from your pan to your oven dish.
- Top with sliced, boiled potatoes.
- Place in oven at gas mark 6 until tops of potatoes have browned, approximately 15 mins.
- Serve with 80g peas per person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.