cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Red Pepper Pasta
- 110 ml vegetable oil
- 25 g flour
- 2 tsps yeast extract
- 60 g sundried tomatoes
- 130 g roasted red peppers roasted, in a jar
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 400 g pasta
- First, put your pasta on to boil.
- Snipped the sun dried tomatoes and roasted red peppers into very thin slivers with your kitchen scissors
- Using the marmite / yeast extract and a pint / 500ml boiling water, make a jug of stock
- Make a roux with the oil and flour. Add the hot stock in about 4 goes.
- Between each addition of stock stir the mixture until all the liquid incorporates into the flour and oil. (If you lift the pan off the heat and beat hard with a wooden spoon after the liquid is incorporated your sauce will be beautifully glossy).
- By the time all the liquid is added you should have a sauce which will coat the back of a spoon. If not add more stock. Stir in the mustard, oregano, garlic, red peppers and sundried tomatoes in slivers.
- Drain pasta. Stir sauce into cooked pasta.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.