cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 30 g cheddar cheese
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 200 g self raising flour
- 60 g lard
- 30 g oats instant oats
- 20 ml vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour, cereal and salt and rub in the lard.
- Stir in the cheese and then the oil, vinegar, water, mustard to get a soft dough. The mustard really intensifies the cheesiness of the scones.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly.
- Pat out to a round 2cm thick. Use a 1.5in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet.
- Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little salt water.
- Bake for 12 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- Click here to starta 12 minute timer
- We made 17 from this batch. Make 4 batches of these in the month.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.