cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Vegan Tomato & Basil Soup
This fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned tomatoes, at any time of year too.
Have you ever made tomato soup using fresh tomatoes? Completely different flavour and well worth trying, especially if you grow tomatoes in the summer. I usually add 100g red lentils when I make it.
How Do I Make Tomato & Basil Soup?
What Is The Soup Like?
What Changes Can I Make?
- Add 100g red lentils and 400ml water for a big hit of protein
- Add a drained tin of white beans or butter beans after blitzing, you may need to add more seasoning
- Add a good dollop of cream, or 150ml milk to make your soup cream of tomato
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric, ground cumin and coriander to spice it up. Sprinkle with a few cumin seeds in the bowl too if you like
- Whizz in leftover garlicky roasted veg
- Add a handful of frozen peas after blitzing
More Delicious Soup Ideas
Lettuce that’s gone over a bit makes a really good soup
- 800 g tomatoes ASDA smartprice
- 1 packet fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, lightly fry garlic and onion in the oil, just until translucent (not brown).
- Add tomatoes and all but 4 leaves of basil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blitz smooth in food processor/blender or with a hand blender. Season to taste.
- Garnish with fresh ground pepper and torn basil leaf per bowl.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthNo Cook ChocolateTrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist! They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping them in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.