cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Butternut Squash Risotto
- 160 g butternut squash
- 500 g rice
- 80 ml oil
- 80 g cheddar a mature cheese
- 50 g dried peas soaked and cooked as per packet instructions (100g if using tins to save time)
- 1.5 l stock
- salt, pepper, garlic
- Cut the butternut squash into small cubes and roast them for approx 25 mins at gas mark 5 with a little salt and vegetable oil.
- Click here to start a 25 minute timer
- Use 40 ml oil to start the risotto off, warm it in a pan, add peas, rice, and 1.5 litres stock, leaving the rest of the oil to drizzle over the finished product.
- When the rice has absorbed all the liquid and is sloppy and cooked, stir in half of the cheese along with the squash, sprinkle the rest over the top. Add salt to taste, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthVegan Tomato & Basil SoupThis fresh and delicious tomato and basil soup is offered as an alternative option in the Celebration Week Planner, but can be enjoyed at any time, and as it uses tinned...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthCreamy Parsnip SoupCreamy parsnip soup, such a classic Christmas flavour. Easy to make, warming and comforting How Do I Make Creamy Parsnip Soup? This recipe uses frozen parsnips. If you prefer to use...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.