cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Don’t have any butternut squash? Use the same weight of any vegetables – carrots; frozen mixed vegetables; sweet potato; white potato. Whatever you have
- 60 g cheddar
- 5 eggs
- 160 g butternut squash cut into small cubes (approx 1 cm)
- 160 g onion also diced
- 10 ml oil for frying
- splash milk
- 1/2 tsp chilli
- tsp garlic
- 320 g peas 80g each
- 1 kg potatoes made into wedges
- Fry butternut squash for approx 10-15 mins gently until tender to the tooth
- Add onion after 10 mins and fry until softened and browned.
- Butternut squash will take longer so begin it 5-10 minutes before adding the onion.
- Whisk egg, grated cheese, milk and spices together in a jug, and then pour over the cooked vegetables.
- Cook for a few more minutes until most of the omelette seems solid.
- Place under grill to brown the top.
- Serve with 80g carrot and 250g potato wedges per person.
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.