cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- 120 g sugar
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 300 ml apple juice
- 250 g mixed dried fruit
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg whisked
- 100 g Self-raising flour
- Warm the apple juice in a pan and then add the mixed fruit and leave to soak and cool.
- Heat the sugar with 1 tablespoon of water in a heavy based saucepan, stirring until it darkens to a rich medium nut brown colour.
- Pour this into the pan or bowl with your fruit. This will harden into toffee and may sizzle, so you will have a lump of toffee in some liquid, but do not panic, after about 20-30 mins cooling time, by stirring, you will be able to re incorporate this back into a liquid consistency.
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- Combine this fruit and sugar mix with all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, stirring well.
- Pour into a greased 5.5 to 6.5 inch pudding basin, made of microwave safe plastic, glass or pyrex.
- This mix can then be microwaved, on full power for 2 sets of 3 minutes with a standing time of 3 minutes in the middle. If after the pudding has rested for a further 5 minutes it isn't set, you can add another 2 minutes.
- Alternatively you can steam it on your hob for approximately 2 hrs or in your slow cooker on low for approximately 6 hours.
- The end result will not have a runny centre, so aim for a set texture, but still dark and glossy and moist.
- serve with 100 ml whipped whipping cream
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for instance [the_ad...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.