cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
- mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- pudding basin, 6 inch
- 120 g sugar
- 60 ml vegetable oil
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 300 ml apple juice
- 250 g mixed dried fruit
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg whisked
- 100 g Self-raising flour
- Warm the apple juice in a pan and then add the mixed fruit and leave to soak and cool.
- Heat the sugar with 1 tablespoon of water in a heavy based saucepan, stirring until it darkens to a rich medium nut brown colour.
- Pour this into the pan or bowl with your fruit. This will harden into toffee and may sizzle, so you will have a lump of toffee in some liquid, but do not panic, after about 20-30 mins cooling time, by stirring, you will be able to re incorporate this back into a liquid consistency.
- Click here to start a 30 minute timer
- Combine this fruit and sugar mix with all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, stirring well.
- Pour into a greased 5.5 to 6.5 inch pudding basin, made of microwave safe plastic, glass or pyrex.
- This mix can then be microwaved, on full power for 2 sets of 3 minutes with a standing time of 3 minutes in the middle. If after the pudding has rested for a further 5 minutes it isn't set, you can add another 2 minutes.
- Alternatively you can steam it on your hob for approximately 2 hrs or in your slow cooker on low for approximately 6 hours.
- The end result will not have a runny centre, so aim for a set texture, but still dark and glossy and moist.
- serve with 100 ml whipped whipping cream
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.