cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Bacon and Onion Pudding
This can be baked in the oven as a pie instead of steaming
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 90 g veg oil
- pinch salt
- 175 g bacon pieces
- 300 g onions chopped into dice
- 320 g peas
- 1 kg potatoes
- Mix the flour, oil and salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Fry the bacon and onions together.
- Line your pudding basin with approx 1 cm thick layer of pastry (keeping 1/3rd for a lid, then fill with the bacon and onion mix, and then use the remaining third as a lid.
- This will only fill your basin to approximately 3/4 full, but don’t worry, it will grow when you steam it.
- Place a pleated piece of foil over the top and tie it around the rim and steam for approx 2-3 hrs in the slow cooker, or on your hob in a bain marie until the pastry is bulging above the top of your pudding basin.
- Click here to start a 2 hour timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthTomato RelishIf you are following the vegan monthly meal plan, this tangy homemade tomato relish is used as a condiment whenever you would like to use it. There is no particular use specified in the...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.