cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Bacon and Onion Pudding
This can be baked in the oven as a pie instead of steaming
bacon & onion pudding
- mixing bowl
- mixing spoon
- pyrex dish
- Pyrex 1 litre measuring jug
- aluminium foil
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 90 g veg oil
- pinch salt
- 175 g bacon pieces
- 300 g onions chopped into dice
- 320 g peas
- 1 kg potatoes
- Mix the flour, oil and salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Fry the bacon and onions together.
- Line your pudding basin with approx 1 cm thick layer of pastry (keeping 1/3rd for a lid, then fill with the bacon and onion mix, and then use the remaining third as a lid.
- This will only fill your basin to approximately 3/4 full, but don’t worry, it will grow when you steam it.
- Place a pleated piece of foil over the top and tie it around the rim and steam for approx 2-3 hrs in the slow cooker, or on your hob in a bain marie until the pastry is bulging above the top of your pudding basin.
- Click here to start a 2 hour timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthRich and fudgy TrufflesSticky, fudgy, chocolate truffles - who can resist. They make fabulous gifts at any time of year, shoosh them up by wrapping the in cellophane and tying up with a ribbon. I buy...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPorridge - Meal Plan 2Raisins are used as they are a purple portion, the hardest one to get. If you don't have them, use any other dried fruit - sultanas, home dried foraged apples or plums for...
cheap family recipes feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.