cheap family recipes
feed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a month
Bacon and Onion Pudding
This can be baked in the oven as a pie instead of steaming
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 90 g veg oil
- pinch salt
- 175 g bacon pieces
- 300 g onions chopped into dice
- 320 g peas
- 1 kg potatoes
- Mix the flour, oil and salt with enough cold water to bring the mix together into a wet dough which comes away cleanly from the sides of your mixing bowl. The dough should be easily manipulated and stretchy, but not stick to your fingers.
- Fry the bacon and onions together.
- Line your pudding basin with approx 1 cm thick layer of pastry (keeping 1/3rd for a lid, then fill with the bacon and onion mix, and then use the remaining third as a lid.
- This will only fill your basin to approximately 3/4 full, but don’t worry, it will grow when you steam it.
- Place a pleated piece of foil over the top and tie it around the rim and steam for approx 2-3 hrs in the slow cooker, or on your hob in a bain marie until the pastry is bulging above the top of your pudding basin.
- Click here to start a 2 hour timer
Why Not Try....?
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthHoumous Sandwich Why Not Try....?Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to...
cheap family recipesfeed a family of 4 for (just over) £100 a monthPotato WedgesPotato wedges are used in various places in the meal plans They can also be substituted whenever potatoes are used for mash etc if you prefer wedges potato wedges oven...
Take care of your family and your budget
Before putting together our meal planners we surveyed over 600 people to ask when faced with a tighter budget, which things they would struggle to give up.